Thread: Best way to get Prototypes on an iPad for Execs

Newbie Level
    Thanks

My LinkedIn

Best way to get Prototypes on an iPad for Execs

As the trend goes, execs are looking for copies of the latest wireframes to play around with and of course, it must be on an iPad. Is there any recommended way or has anyone found a good solution for deploying wireframes to iPads for simple deployments with relatively non-technical users that will be installing these?

And note that one constraint is that some of these wireframes are used for offline sales demos and so the solution has to involve the wireframes working offline on an iPad (simply hosting the solutions on a website won't do the trick).

Thanks!

Clarification: I'm not looking to prototype iPad apps, these are normal IE website wireframes (custom Sharepoint sites to be specific) that we are showing. The purpose of using iPad is purely to view the wireframe and show to clients the behavior of our tools when not connected to the internet and using an iPad. Additional research is showing something like a CHM reader on iPad might do the trick but not sure of best way to deploy.
    Last edited by tbarron; 07-06-2011 at 03:36 PM. Reason: Clarification

Apprentice Level
    Thanks

I would upload the rp file to share.axure.com and then use the sitesucker ipad app to download it on to the device.

Axure Product Manager
    Thanks

Hi tbarron, here is an article on how to view axure prototypes on the iPad offline.

http://designprevails.blogspot.com/2....html?spref=tw

Newbie Level
    Thanks

Sadly, the method referred to by Victor doesn't work well. A lot of functionality doesn't carry across and I find my mockups broken in the Good Reader browser. In addition, the browser is always trying to scale the entire page to the display, so you get a lot of distortion.

Newbie Level
    Thanks

My LinkedIn

work in progress...

GoodReader may be an option - but I really don't like the way that if you don't hold your finger down long enough the annoying bottom and tob banner pop up. This makes my demos look lousy. I tried all the CHM players and ChmPlus is proving to be the most stable CHM reader with the best looking UI allowing you to go full screen and hide all navigation. However, my Axure prototypes are getting very touchy when looked at thru ChmPlus. I have 5 dynamic panels all done exact same way and when I add a 6th it breaks. This has happenned a couple times along the way and then my next build will mysteriously fix all my problems. Has anyone done something similar and know what to watch out for?
    Thanks.

Newbie Level
    Thanks

My LinkedIn
    I think we finally have this perfected to where everything is working just as I'd like. The developers of the CHM+ app have been very accommodating and created a setting to make viewing high fidelity Axure wireframes offline in CHM+ on the iPad a really smooth experience. You'll want to first go to "Settings" on the iPad and change 2 default settings for the CHM+ app: (1) set "Resize Large Images" to off; and (2) set "DT Toggle Fullscreen" to Off. For offline demos, my recommendation is to distribute your wireframe as a CHM file using something like SharePlus or DropBox and then open up in CHM+. You may also benefit from using "Inline Frame" widget to control exact dimensions and scrolling. Altogether, this makes for a really easy to distribute and incredibly high performance wireframe demo experience. I know there are other methods for low fidelity and online demos, but this is the best choice in my opinion for high fidelity offline demos using a Axure wireframe on an iPad. Now I just need to add animations from Axure 6.5 and this will be really slick!

Hope that helps.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tbarron For This Useful Post:

victor (02-14-2012)

Axure Product Manager
    Thanks

hi tbarron, thank you very much for sharing the solution and working with CHM+ to make it work.

Newbie Level
    Thanks

Hi tbarron,

I've downloaded the CHM+ app but It's beeing impossible to see properly my axure prototypes offline. Can you please detail all the steps i must follow?

Thanks

Sifu
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    Hi All,

I am trying to get CHM+ Lite working on an iPhone. I tried connecting via File Transfer, but no success.

Both my computer and test phone are on the same Wi-Fi network. I see my phone's internal IP address under File Transfer but upon tapping, nothing happens. Has anyone run into this issue before? Thanks in advance.

light_forger
    Svetlin Denkov
    User Experience Professional
    Twitter: @svetlindenkov LinkedIn: http://linkd.in/JbZDre
    Meetup: http://bit.ly/1qITjzK

Sifu
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    Hi All,

After some digging, I found out how it works. First, make sure both computer and phone are on the same network. Then in CHM+ once you see the IP address, copy it to the browser on your computer (e.g. 10.1.1.1:8080).

This will show you an interface for loading files local to your computer, preferably a proto zip file which you can then unzip within the app and view the appropriate html file. Same method works for GoodReader.

A quick warning, CHM+ lite has a banner at the bottom, which I presume disappears with the paid version.

Also, if you have designed your prototype to not include the iOS status bar (assuming Apple prototype here), both CHM+ and GoodReader remove it in full screen view, therefore you will see a gap at the bottom of your prototype of the same size.

Hope this helps!

light_forger
    Svetlin Denkov

12. The Following User Says Thank You to light_forger For This Useful Post:

Paul (12-13-2012)

Axurecist
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    We always use "Sites 2 Go Lite".

Create a .zip of your prototype and copy it via iTunes to the apps memory.
    Shake the iPad (once) to activate the full screen mode.
    ____

Check out the Second Edition of Axure for Mobile, my book teaching you everything you need to know about mobile prototyping.

www.axureformobile.com

Sifu
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    Hey Lennart,

So far I have been using the method I described above for CHM+ and GoodReader in the presence of WiFi connection. I am yet to test this setup for an ad-hoc scenario (no WiFi).

Therefore, I am interested in trying the iTunes method since it is appears to be connection-agnostic.

light_forger
    Svetlin Denkov

Axurecist
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    I found this the least painful way.
    Plus on a Mac itunes syncs over WLAN. No cables needed.
    ____

Check out the Second Edition of Axure for Mobile, my book teaching you everything you need to know about mobile prototyping.

www.axureformobile.com

Sifu
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    Hey Lennart,

I tried the iTunes method, and it works beautifully for CHM+, GoodReader, and Sites2GoLite. For those not familiar with the process, here is a very brief overview:

1. Install iTunes on PC or Apple.
    2. Start iTunes and make sure you have your device unlocked.
    3. Plug in iPhone/iPad (make sure you have the device-specific app), and let the drivers install (on first use only).
    4. Under Apps tab (for device) navigate to the appropriate app, click on it, and under Documents drag and drop a .zip of your generated prototype.
    5. Unzip in the appropriate app, and you are good to go.

NOTE: An extra step in Sites2GoLite is that you have to go to the Upload section, and explicitly select iTunes tab for the upload to take place. Otherwise you won't see the zip under the Files section.

Lastly, all 3 apps support accepting files in an ad-hoc setup. So that's another connection-free method of uploading files. Hope you find this helpful!

light_forger
    Last edited by light_forger; 12-18-2012 at 01:33 PM.
    Svetlin Denkov

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to light_forger For This Useful Post:

Ian Gardner (12-22-2012), Lennart (12-19-2012)

Axure Fu Master
    Thanks

Hi everyone,

Sorry for a little bit of spam... We have currently finished beta version of iOS prototype viewer called ProtoSee. See more info here: http://www.facebook.com/ProtoSee

Before we get the app to AppStore, we would like to collect some feedback, thus we are looking for beta testers.

If you have an iOS device running iOS 5+ and do some (high-fidelity) prototypes, please, consider joining in Contact me at lojza.filip@gmail.com or via ProtoSee facebook page or here using private messages for further info.

Axure Fu Master
    Thanks

Hi everyone,

ProtoSee is available in the AppStore.

More info here: iOS prototype viewer: looking for beta testers

Axure Fu Master
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    I've previously used PhoneGap and xCode to install prototypes natively on an iPad / iPhone:

Mobile Prototypes with Axure – Part 3 – Native Apps - UXPhil – Philip Bonhard

It requires someone technical to get the prototype onto the iPad, but once done it works nicely and updates are fairly easy to do.

I've also managed to send installation files via DIAWI.com by email. But for that you require an enterprise iOS dev license.

drop me a line on me@uxphil.com if you want further details ...
    Phil Bonhard
    User Experience Manager

www.uxphil.com
    @UXPhil