Thread: Axure RP 6.5 Manual Install Windows

Newbie Level
    Thanks

Axure RP 6.5 Manual Install Windows

Current Axure 7.0 Manual Install: Axure RP Manual Install Windows (Installation Issues, Won't Install, Installer Incomplete, Broken, Won't Finish, Freezes) -AxTeam

Hey Guys,

This is probably a weird question but I will give as much detail as I can.

I currently own the licensed / professional version of Axure RP 6.5 for use on my office PC and I'm currently trying to install just the demo version on my desktop at home.

My home computer contains Windows 7 Ultimate ( latest updates and drivers), disabled hardware acceleration, have Microsoft .Net 4.0 installed with latest updates etc.

The issue occurs when I attempt to Install Axure to the computer.

> I am successful in downloading the application

> I start the installation process, though when it begins to load it gets about half way through the bar than just quits and disappears. HOWEVER the weird part is that the task is still viewable from task manager, so even though it has disappeared from my view (not accessible via task bar or anything), it is still running within the task manager.

I've tried numerous times without any luck.

Any advice would be great.

Thank you,
    Ryan
    Last edited by Ian Gardner; 01-14-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Axure Product Manager
    Thanks

Current Axure 7.0 Manual Install: Axure RP Manual Install Windows (Installation Issues, Won't Install, Installer Incomplete, Broken, Won't Finish, Freezes) -AxTeam

Hi Ryan, you can try a manual install.

The computer needs to have the Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0 installed.

1. Download http://axure.cachefly.net/AxureRPFiles65.zip
    2. Go to your C: drive and open the "Programs Files" folder.
    3. Create a new folder named "Axure"
    4. Unzip the contents of AxureRPFiles65.zip from step one into the Axure folder. You should now have a folder named "Axure RP Pro 6.5" in this folder.
    5. Open the "Axure RP Pro 6.5" folder and look for a file named AxureRP.exe 6. Drag the AxureRP.exe file over your start menu and then over All Programs once the start menu shows up and drop it to create a shortcut to Axure RP.
    7. Find the new shortcut and right click and select "Properties" and change the field "Start In" on the properties dialog to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Axure\Axure RP Pro 6.5" (including the quotes).
    8. (Optional) Right click on your new shortcut click Rename, and change the name of the shortcut to "Axure RP Pro 6.5".
    Last edited by Ian Gardner; 01-14-2014 at 01:20 PM.

Newbie Level
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by victor View Post
    Hi Ryan, you can try a manual install.

The computer needs to have the Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0 installed.

1. Download http://axure.cachefly.net/AxureRPFiles65.zip
    2. Go to your C: drive and open the "Programs Files" folder.
    4. Unzip the contents of AxureRPFiles65.zip from step one into the Axure folder. You should now have a folder named "Axure RP Pro 6.5" in this folder.
    5. Open the "Axure RP Pro 6.5" folder and look for a file named AxureRP.exe 6. Drag the AxureRP.exe file over your start menu and then over All Programs once the start menu shows up and drop it to create a shortcut to Axure RP.
    7. Find the new shortcut and right click and select "Properties" and change the field "Start In" on the properties dialog to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Axure\Axure RP Pro 6.5" (including the quotes).
    8. (Optional) Right click on your new shortcut click Rename, and change the name of the shortcut to "Axure RP Pro 6.5".
    Hi Victor,

Thanks for the manual installation overview.

This method worked perfectly, and now onto creating documents at home.

Thanks again,
    Ryan

Axure Developer
    Thanks

Instructions for a manual install of Axure RP:

0. Make sure the computer has the Microsoft .Net Framework 4.0 installed.

1. Download http://axure.cachefly.net/AxureRPFiles65.zip [standard version: http://axure.cachefly.net/AxureRPStdFiles65.zip]

2. Go to your C: drive and open the "Programs Files" folder, "C:\Program Files (x86)".

4. Unzip the contents of AxureRPFiles65.zip [AxureRPStdFiles65.zip] from step one into the Axure folder. You should now have a folder named "Axure RP Pro 6.5" ["Axure RP 6.5"] in this folder.

5. Open the "Axure RP Pro 6.5" ["Axure RP 6.5"] folder and look for a file named AxureRP.exe

6. Drag the AxureRP.exe file over your start menu and then over All Programs once the start menu shows up and drop it to create a shortcut to Axure RP.

7. Find the new shortcut and right click and select "Properties" and change the field "Start In" on the properties dialog to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Axure\Axure RP Pro 6.5" ["C:\Program Files (x86)\Axure\Axure RP 6.5"] (including the quotes).

8. (Optional) Right click on your new shortcut click Rename, and change the name of the shortcut to "Axure RP Pro 6.5" ["Axure RP 6.5"].
    Last edited by Ian Gardner; 01-14-2014 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Fixed Standard Link

Newbie Level
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    Same problem with v7

Axure Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by alexdbk View Post
    Same problem with v7
    Sorry, no manual install for the 7.0 beta yet. We are working on it, but it won't be guaranteed to be out until the release.

Newbie Level
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    Any recommendations on how to troubleshoot other than that?

Newbie Level
    Thanks

Exclamation Thanks for the manual install files, but the setup tool you are using makes things difficult.

[QUOTE=Ian Gardner;20278]Instructions for a manual install of Axure RP:

Hi,

First of all I want to thank you guys for posting the manual install files.. What a relief!

Now, I am a Setup Developer with 14 years experience currently working at one of the country's largest companies. I was tasked last week to prepare Axure RP for automated distribution in a SCCM environment. The problem is that you guys are using InstallAware. I have never seen such a confusing setup development tool in all my years of doing this. I have lost a day on what should have been a very easy package. I had to engage 3 team members for assistance who are all essentially dumbfounded by the setup provided. These are smart people with combined experience in this space of approximately 40 years. I strongly suggest you switch to InstallShield and use a Basic MSI Project Type, sticking to the standard way of doing things on the Microsoft Platform, regardless of InstallAware's opinion on that topic. In no way am I being compensated or am connected with Flexera in any way. However, when I see something like this and I lose a lot of time I feel action should be taken. It is not my intent to demean InstallAware and maybe it has some merit in certain situations that I fail to see at this point. Nevertheless, as I have said their product has wasted a lot of my time.

Regards,

Jim

Axure Developer
    Thanks

Hi Jim,

Thanks for comments. We have been unhappy with InstallAware at times too. We will check out InstallShield next time we evaluate this process.

Axure Marketing
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    Link to manual install for Axure RP 7 Manual Install for Axure 7
    Last edited by Ian Gardner; 01-14-2014 at 01:18 PM.