Thread: Font Awesome Widget Library for V7+ (Icon Fonts)

Axure Support/Admin
    Thanks

Post Font Awesome Widget Library for V7+ (Icon Fonts)

9/1/16 Axure staff edit:

The attached custom widget library, FontAwesomeV321.rplib, corresponds to an older version of the Font Awesome toolkit (v3.2.1). This widget library still works alongside the Font Awesome font file provided in step 1 and the CSS link shown in step 3.

More importantly, Font Awesome has updated their toolkit a few times since this original post. So, different versions of their CSS and font file could be floating around, which may be incompatible with the specific widget library provided in the original post. Using consistent versions across these three components (RPLIB, FA font file, and CSS link) would be ideal.

The most recent RPLIB (for FontAwesome 4.5.0) was authored by one of our community members, StanleyBuckeye, and can be found here:

FontAwesomeV4.5.rplib

Because the download for the actual 4.5.0 font file seems to have been taken down, using a more current version of the FA font file would be advisable when working with the assets in the editor of Axure RP. For example, you can use the fonts from the zip link below, which would apply at Step 1:

http://fontawesome.io/assets/font-awesome-4.6.3.zip

Here's the matching CSS link to go along with this widget library for FA v4.5.0 (this link would apply at Step 3):

https://maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/font-awesome/4.5.0/css/font-awesome.min.css

Feel free to shoot us an email at support@axure.com if you have questions about any of these steps.

Hi Axurians - now that web fonts are available, I wanted to show you step by step how you can utilize Font Awesome in your Axure prototype.

1. Download and install the Font Awesome font file

http://fontawesome.io/3.2.1/assets/font-awesome.zip

Open the "Font" folder and install the font.

2. Restart Axure RP

If Axure RP is open, shut it down completely and re-open it. This will allow you to choose FontAwesome from the font droplist and see the correct icon in the editor.

3. Add Font Awesome CSS link to "Web Fonts" in the Generate Prototype dialog

Code:
    http://netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/font-awesome/3.2.1/css/font-awesome.css

4. Install the Axure Font Awesome widget library (attached below)

Alternatively, you can copy/paste icons from the FontAwesome official cheat sheet.

5. Drag and drop FontAwesome widgets from this library.

Adjust style of all icons using the "FontAwesome" custom style or format individual icons.

Note: Font Awesome icons are adjusted using font size and font color.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Alex Axure; 09-01-2016 at 12:52 PM. Reason: general updates

2. The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to Paul Axure For This Useful Post:

127.0.0.1 (12-26-2013), amirotter (10-02-2013), balckdoe (04-09-2014), BrightBei007 (09-21-2014), chriscavallucci (10-16-2013), culvi (08-13-2014), doron_egz (10-17-2013), easyishard (09-03-2015), Electra (03-18-2014), gdnovey (09-24-2013), geoffreyemery (11-03-2013), gothate (04-14-2014), irzzz (06-10-2014), Jeff Harrison (09-11-2013), jimparrillo (09-30-2015), Lightman (02-28-2014), light_forger (09-11-2013), lizat (09-19-2015), maitebaran (05-09-2014), Meirion (11-25-2013), morlem (10-03-2013), serga414 (04-04-2014), Shiraluk (10-01-2013), thybou (03-01-2017), tk02 (12-09-2013), urbansombrero99 (08-01-2015), UXBrian (04-12-2016)

Newbie Level
    Thanks

My LinkedIn
    Quick tip for those hosting their axure prototype on dropbox. The dropbox public link uses 'https' protocol. The font-awesome icons in my prototype were being displayed as boxes in the latest version of firefox (23.0.1).

Looking through the console in firebug, I had the following error:-
    Blocked loading mixed active content "http://netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/font-awesome/3.2.1/css/font-awesome.css"

Active content? What's all that about I wondered. Good post here.

I also spotted a shield icon next to the url bar in the browser. This is what led me to the work around.

I removed the 'http:' protocol from the 'Font Awesome CSS' link //netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/font-awesome/3.2.1/css/font-awesome.css, and generated the prototype files again. Copied them to dropbox and all was good.

HTH

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JamesyGB For This Useful Post:

Paul Axure (09-24-2013)

Newbie Level
    Thanks

My LinkedIn
    this is life changing!
    Seriously. I find this helpful in so many ways. Saving tons of time working with other sources outside of Axure.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doron_egz For This Useful Post:

Paul Axure (10-02-2013), thybou (03-01-2017)

Newbie Level
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    agree with Doron...font embedding in order to use Font Awesome is a TERRIFIC feature for axure, thanks all!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to shepholland For This Useful Post:

doron_egz (10-17-2013)

Newbie Level
    Thanks

I'm excited to try this out but the ZIP file seems to have gone AWOL. Is it still necessary?

Axure Support/Admin
    Thanks

I've updated the link, it looks like there's a 4.x version out now but it's not too much different than this version.
    Last edited by Paul Axure; 12-21-2013 at 01:26 AM.

Newbie Level
    Thanks

Hey Paul, Have you updated this to 4.0 yet? This is amazing! Total game changer for me.

Axure Support/Admin
    Thanks

Hey jwex, I have not, it's possible that I will. From what I gather 4.0 is great if you are indeed coding, because you can use all the little custom variations like fill, circle, square... but because there's so many of these variations, I don't think it's really scalable for Axure. If you care to change my mind I would be all ears!

Newbie Level
    Thanks

Well, i am loving the stuff you have put up already so i am very happy. Thanks again!

Paj
    Axure Fu Master
    Thanks

My LinkedIn
    Brilliant feature!

However, I'm having a little bit of trouble getting the icons to align properly using the align controls in Axure. They seem to be a bit off centre, and they render in different positions in different browsers.

Converting them to images fixes it, but you do lose a bit of flexibility.

Newbie Level
    Thanks

My Twitter

Problem with this rplib in recent update: Ver. 7.0.0.3145 w/ this rplib- found issue, but still testing

This is a great tool and I'm stoked to find it!

Just wanted to raise a little flag though- I added into to the new axure version Ver. 7.0.0.3145 (which is currently a beta update) and I couldn't get the file to publish to axshare afterwards.
    I closed to file, thinking it was an issue with axure or the net, but then couldn't get the file to open again.

Was able to recover my file to the stage *before* I'd added this library into it. All versions after I'd added this rplib wouldn't open.

I'm going to try fiddling with this again and will post an update because god knows
    we need good looking stuff like this in axure wireframes!

Hope this is helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post
    Hi Axurians - now that web fonts are available, I wanted to show you step by step how you can utilize Font Awesome in your Axure prototype.

1) Download and install Font Awesome

2) Restart Axure

If Axure is open, shut it down completely and re-open it. This will allow you to choose FontAwesome from the font droplist.

3) Add Font Awesome CSS link to "Web Fonts" in the Generate Prototype dialog

Code:

4) Install the Axure Font Awesome widget library (attached below)

Alternatively, you can copy/paste icons from the FontAwesome official cheat sheet.

5) Drag and drop FontAwesome widgets from this library.

Adjust style of all icons using the "FontAwesome" custom style or format individual icons.

Download my Axure Widgets
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    Hi Paul, Thanks for the icon font. I was wondering how to added the individual icons into the text box? What key -or- key sequence are you punching in in order to have a specific icon shown up in a text box.

Thanks for help.
    MO

Axure Support/Admin
    Thanks

Hi Marc - I think your best bet would just be to copy/paste from FA's icon list Font Awesome Icons.

Paj
    Axure Fu Master
    Thanks

My LinkedIn
    Quote Originally Posted by hellomarcoliver View Post
    Hi Paul, Thanks for the icon font. I was wondering how to added the individual icons into the text box? What key -or- key sequence are you punching in in order to have a specific icon shown up in a text box.

Thanks for help.
    MO
    Hi Marc,

I use the Widget Library here. When you install it, it creates a new, searchable library with all of the icons as individual widgets. Very handy!

http://www.axure.com/forum/attachmen...somev321.rplib

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paj For This Useful Post:

Ian Gardner (03-29-2014), patrickrushton (09-30-2014)

Sifu
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    Hey Paul,

First, let me compliment you on the library. Yet another useful resources for us, prototypers I have been playing with FontAwesome (referred to as FA) for couple of days and have a few quick questions (rather requests for confirmation hehe):

1. As hellomarcoliver pointed out, the FA characters appears to not map to hard keys. Is it safe to assume then that the character set does not map to alphanumeric keys and instead has to be copied from the page you pointed out character at a time?

My testing of FA (both as .ttf and .otf on PC/Apple) shows that the character set is a separate namespace (for the lack of better word). I was initially working under the impression that it maps to physical keys like Webdings.

2. Why are we pointing to the .css file in the Generations Settings Web Fonts section?

My assumption is that the font or fonts used in a prototype don't get stored in the prototype as an asset, thus a translation is needed if the prototype is viewed on a machine which does not have the font installed locally. Let me know if this is a correct interpretation.

Thanks in advance for any input you may have.

light_forger
    Svetlin Denkov
    User Experience Professional
    Twitter: @svetlindenkov LinkedIn: http://linkd.in/JbZDre
    Meetup: http://bit.ly/1qITjzK

Axure Support/Admin
    Thanks

Hi Svet- I'll do my best here and anyone is welcome to chime in and correct me.

1) I am not really 100% about if Font Awesome ever mapped like wingdings. I know that when coded it's something like <i class="fa fa-camera-retro"></i> more info Font Awesome Examples

2) The css file works basically like a webfont. You and I have FA installed, but because most people don't it wouldn't render, and that's where the css comes in.

Sifu
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    Paul,

As always, thanks for the quick and helpful response.

1) Yeah, now I don't think so either. After all there are more than 361 icons hehe. I browsed the examples and really dig the rotation and sizing via CSS classes.

2) After my post, I tested this by accessing an FA proto on a system without the font, and it proved my hypothesis.

Furthermore, I believe my initial mental model was incorrect. I thought a user didn't need the appropriate font locally to author any work e.g., he/she could use any font such as 'Arial' and then pass a mapping to say 'Font Awesome'. During runtime the entered text would convert to FA. That is the mapping required the web font only.

Testing shows that one does indeed need the local font. Am I understanding this last puzzle piece right?

light_forger
    Svetlin Denkov

Axure Developer
    Thanks

You definitely shouldn't need Font Awesome installed to author work using it (not sure I would suggest that workflow though ).

Here is a sample I created with Font Awesome disabled. I used the library FontAwesomeV321 attached earlier by Paj. This sets the Font on the Widget directly to FontAwesome (rather than creating a Web Mapping) and then creates a CSS Web Font pointing to: http://netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/font-...nt-awesome.css.

Font Awesome Test

Here is what those icons looked like for me locally:

That library is very nice because you don't have to worry about getting the character in. However, copying and pasting or using the Alt Key Codes should work as well.

Sifu
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    Ian, this definitely helps. Now I know that web fonts help display text used in a prototype to an end user using a different font, either existing local font on end user's machine or via rendition of an externally hosted font.

I started my investigation from the viewpoint of the Designer and how fonts display locally in the prototype. Hence my assumption that Font Awesome needs to be installed: to provide clarity to the gibberish icons above locally, despite these showing fine during runtime of the prototype. How else would a Designer what glyph he or she used hehe?

I took this local view of Web Font prototyping and thought it relates to the external rendition, which it appears to not be the case: the web font mapping gets completed regardless if the appropriate font is used or not. The only thing the Designer needs to do to ensure this, is set the text labels to the web font (as stated in the other thread) or paste the glyphs from a cheatsheet similar to Font Awesome.

It took me a while to figure out that the glyphs don't map 1 to 1 on keyboard keys since there is more than 360 of them, so the cheatsheet is a necessity.

light_forger
    Svetlin Denkov

Sifu
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    Ian, Lennart Hennig's new "Axure for Mobile" book (7.0 edition) beautifully explains what I had to learn the hard way about Web Fonts, hehe: Amazon.com: Axure for Mobile, Second Edition: Building Mobile Prototypes with Axure RP 7.0 eBook: Lennart Hennigs: Kindle Store

This read would have saved me much research earlier

light_forger
    Svetlin Denkov

Paj
    Axure Fu Master
    Thanks

My LinkedIn
    Using the FA Widget Library is very, very good. You don't need to worry about key mappings or anything, and the library is searchable so you can quickly find what you're looking for. Then just drag and drop.

To ensure it works everywhere, make sure you include the following web font link in the Generate HTML > Web Fonts dialog box:

http://netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/font-...nt-awesome.css

This will load the FA glyphs correctly, regardless of whether the user has the FA font files installed on their local machine.

Newbie Level
    Thanks

Hello all. New to the forum here so my apologies if I am overlooking something obvious but I cannot see any option on my version of Axure (7.0) that would allow me to add "Web Fonts"

As you can see on my screen when I click Generate Specification there is no option for Web Fonts as you seem to have. Has something changed? Am I in the wrong version? Thanks for any help.

By the way I can see the icons when I publish locally but not on another computer, they are showing the rectangle.

PeteName:  axure-screen.jpg
Views: 152208
Size:  82.0 KB

Paj
    Axure Fu Master
    Thanks

My LinkedIn
    Quote Originally Posted by zimbeta View Post
    Hello all. New to the forum here so my apologies if I am overlooking something obvious but I cannot see any option on my version of Axure (7.0) that would allow me to add "Web Fonts"

As you can see on my screen when I click Generate Specification there is no option for Web Fonts as you seem to have. Has something changed? Am I in the wrong version? Thanks for any help.

By the way I can see the icons when I publish locally but not on another computer, they are showing the rectangle.

PeteName:  axure-screen.jpg
Views: 152208
Size:  82.0 KB
    Hi zimbeta,

You need to use the Generate Prototype function (F8 key), which will create all the HTML for you.

At the moment, you're using Generate Specification (F9), which creates a specification as a Word Doc.

Newbie Level
    Thanks

Hello Paj. Thanks for your reply. I knew it was something obvs.

Newbie Level
    Thanks

I am wondering if anyone have a way to use fontawesome collaboratively? I imported fontawesome from a server location but when my colleague publishes the file on his machine, he doesn't get the icons showing. That is the same for all other imported libraries.

Would you have a solution for this (i.e. not having to import the libraries every time on each person's machine)?

My colleague is suggesting to use the icons as masters instead, that way they will stay in the document. But that limits me to a specific size and colour for each icon. I no longer have the flexibility that fontawesome gives.

Paj
    Axure Fu Master
    Thanks

My LinkedIn
    Quote Originally Posted by giraffe View Post
    I am wondering if anyone have a way to use fontawesome collaboratively? I imported fontawesome from a server location but when my colleague publishes the file on his machine, he doesn't get the icons showing. That is the same for all other imported libraries.

Would you have a solution for this (i.e. not having to import the libraries every time on each person's machine)?

My colleague is suggesting to use the icons as masters instead, that way they will stay in the document. But that limits me to a specific size and colour for each icon. I no longer have the flexibility that fontawesome gives.
    Note that the font and the library are two different things.
    The library needs to font installed to work, but the font does not need the library.

Anyone who wants to generate an Axure prototype using FontAwesome needs to have the font installed on that machine. Once you install the font once, you dont need to do it again.

The library is a collection of widgets for each FontAwesome symbol which makes it easier to use, but it isnt necessary.

End users (such as clients) are able to view a prototype containing FontAwesome symbols if the 'Include Web Fonts' option is checked in the Generate Prototype dialog. From the sounds of it, this is why the icons aren't displaying properly. The first post in this thread covers how to get that working, including the URL of the CSS file you will need.

Let me know how you go!

Apprentice Level
    Thanks

Font Awesome version 4.03

All,
    I have created a new rplib file for version 4.0.3 of Font Awesome. You can load this the same as the previous version just use the new URL locations for the proper version of the fonts and files.

Here is an updated version of the instructions:

1) Download and install Font Awesome 4.0.3

http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Aw...some-4.0.3.zip

2) Restart Axure

If Axure is open, shut it down completely and re-open it. This will allow you to choose FontAwesome from the font droplist.

Code:
    netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/font-awesome/4.0.3/css/font-awesome.css

Enjoy,
    Max Ervin

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mervin55 For This Useful Post:

BenBarreras (05-06-2014), lusoless (07-27-2014), Williams (05-05-2014)

Apprentice Level
    Thanks

Cool,
    thanks a lot!

Axure Support/Admin
    Thanks

Hi guys,

Anne-Sophie has submitted to the help desk a 4.1 version of this library (attached). Thanks Anne-Sophie!

36. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kip Axure For This Useful Post:

127.0.0.1 (08-01-2014), JamesyGB (07-16-2014), light_forger (06-08-2014), lusoless (07-27-2014), tiagocarvalhos (09-19-2014)

Apprentice Level
    Thanks

Cool! Many thanks!

BTW. Whenever you insert an FA symbol into a widget — it appears ~4-5 px higher than vertical centre.

For example, if I create a box, say 50x50, insert a symbol as text, then set box align vertical and horizontal aligns to middle&center -- a symbol looks just a bit higher, so to make it perfectly centered I have to add 4-5 px padding from the top.

Is there a way to fix it?

Here is an example: Prototype

UPD. As you can see, in Axure and in Chrome it looks very different
    So the solution is to use two rectangles with no padding but mind the WYSIWYG princpiple is not working properly.

BTW3. Here is an updated css link for the Font Awesome 4.1.0 library:

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Williams For This Useful Post:

lusoless (07-27-2014)

Newbie Level
    Thanks

Hi Paul,

My OS is MC OS x, the version of Axure is Pro7.0,

as you say:

2) Restart Axure

i have 2 problems,
    1)how can i install the font
    2)when i restart axure, i can't see font droplist.

can you help me , thank you !

Newbie Level
    Thanks

My LinkedIn
    Hi Kip,

I wondered if you knew the process on creating the library file for fontAwesome? Is it really a case of copying the character into axure one by one?

Thanks.

Sifu
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    Hey JamesyGB and Kip and/or Paul,

I am curious of the same! So far I have found two ways of copying Unicode characters in an Axure library:

Via Character Map:
    1. Install font locally.
    2. Open Character Map (if on Windows). For more information: Using special characters (Character Map): frequently asked questions - Windows Help For Mac, see steps 3 and 4 here: The Pragmatic Designer: How to use your own icon fonts in Axure
    3. Select Icon and copy as Unicode.
    4. Paste in an Axure label and assign to appropriate local font (should work for a .CSS based web font too if its font name and @font-face assignment matches that of the local file and entry made under Generate HTML->Web Fonts).

Via FireBug Console (should be platform agnostic):
    1. Install Firefox and its plugin Firebug: Firebug
    2. Open Firebug's console via bug icon and selecting Console tab.
    3. Type copy('\uxxxx') where xxxx = unicode for icon e.g., f101
    4. Paste in an Axure label and assign to appropriate local font (should work for a .CSS based web font too if its font name and @font-face assignment matches that of the local file and entry made under Generate HTML->Web Fonts).

UPDATE July 24th, 2014: You can accomplish the above via the built-in consoles for Firefox and Chrome, too!

I still don't know how each individual FA entry got its icon: I am assuming screenshots of the Character Map or from FA's cheatsheet website were used.

Plus, I think the FA style seems to do nothing, but pass along the correct font assignment per label widget (to help with translation of unicode to icon for local or web font).

light_forger
    Last edited by light_forger; 07-24-2014 at 08:51 AM.
    Svetlin Denkov

Newbie Level
    Thanks

THIS IS AWESOME!!! Thanks so much for providing this. It's insanely useful.

Question - Anyone notice that some of the icons don't show in the library? Is this intentional when the rplib is created? Specifically the Form Control Icons provided by Font Awesome. There are numerous other icons missing as well in the other sets as well. Not complaining what so ever, just shedding the light.

Sifu
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    Hey Culvi,

I am glad you found it useful! Which version of the .rplib are you looking at? There are 2 floating around: one is by Paul (v3.2.1) and the other one is 4.0.3 I believe, but the name of the user escapes.

Also, there are multiple accordion panels for 3.2.1 revealing additional icons. Hope this helps!

light_forger
    Svetlin Denkov

Newbie Level
    Thanks

My LinkedIn
    What I'd like to see is a way to import fonts automatically instead of using external URLs. I cannot link external URLs when I send prototype to clients.

Is there a way to attach custom fonts on generated HTML files? If I use Glyphicons for example, I'd like to have the .ttf file and proper CSS statements automatically on the prototype.

Thanks,
    Eugenio

Edit: I was able to point the fonts using local folder, and I need to manually add it on every prototype I work (include configuration).
    Last edited by egrigolon; 08-22-2014 at 10:23 AM. Reason: Got a workaround solution

Sifu
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    Hey Egrigolon,

I would recommend using the method described here by Lennart Hennigs: Font embedding with @font-face (Axure 7 Web Fonts)

Pair this with ProtoSee (for local storage; there are other methods of course): ProtoSee: an off-line HTML prototypes viewer for iOS ProtoSee offers functionality for importing fonts, but I have not being able to find any documentation on that!

light_forger
    Svetlin Denkov

Newbie Level
    Thanks

Hello all.
    I have a question regarding license rights of this particular font. Is it free for commercial use? Does anyone of you possess any licence document of this font.
    Would really appreciate.

Thanks in advance,
    Emil

Sifu
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    Here you go: Font Awesome License

light_forger
    Svetlin Denkov

Newbie Level
    Thanks

Thanks,

I've already visited this site but wasn't sure if those conditions applies also to this particular version of the fontawesome.

Once again,
    thanks

Regards,
    Emil

Axure Fu Master
    Thanks

My LinkedIn
    here is a link to the updated version https://github.com/duzyn/fontawesome-axure-library its version 4.1.0

Thanks, Tiago, it was version 4.1, not 4.2.
    Last edited by btaylor328; 09-23-2014 at 10:35 AM.

50. The Following User Says Thank You to btaylor328 For This Useful Post:

strelec (09-21-2014)

Newbie Level
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    Quote Originally Posted by btaylor328 View Post
    here is a link to the updated version https://github.com/duzyn/fontawesome-axure-library its version 4.2.0

Hello Brett, thanks for sharing but the link goes to 4.1 version. Could you check the link?

Paj
    Axure Fu Master
    Thanks

My LinkedIn
    It would be great to apply this as a global setting in Axure, instead of having to update each time you create a new project. I find myself having to visit this thread to find the link to the css file each time.

Newbie Level
    Thanks

OK, I've been using this method for a very like time, but haven't used axure in a month or so. I just opened it up to work on a project and all of the sudden FontAwesome isn't working anymore and I have no idea why?

When I drag a font widget to the work area it shows the correct icon, but when I release my mouse it immediate changes back to a wingding sort of thingName:  Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 1.16.13 PM.png
Views: 134125
Size:  7.4 KB

I have a project that I need to get out to my team... any assistance would be extremely welcome!

Again, I've set up my system just as Paul has suggested at the top of this thread. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled fontAwesome again, just in case Yosemite was doing something funky. I then grabbed the fontAwesome v4.2.0 version and installed that and then used the following URL:http://netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/font-...nt-awesome.css Which does exist... and still nothing. This is driving me crazy!

One more thing, the file is saved in my Box directory, but I saved another version to my desktop and it does the same thing...

OK, this is very strange... I checked a different file that appears to be setup exactly the same, but FontAwesome works perfectly. So, I imported the screens from the bad file into a new one (which I tested with FontAwesome and it worked). However, after import, FontAwesome didn't work. So, then I copied/pasted the contents of each page into the new file and FontAwesome worked again. No idea what's going on, but apparently that file, is just totally messed up!

So, thanks for listening, I'm all good now
    Last edited by jammyman; 11-14-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Axure Developer
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jammyman View Post
    OK, I've been using this method for a very like time, but haven't used axure in a month or so. I just opened it up to work on a project and all of the sudden FontAwesome isn't working anymore and I have no idea why?

When I drag a font widget to the work area it shows the correct icon, but when I release my mouse it immediate changes back to a wingding sort of thingName:  Screen Shot 2014-11-14 at 1.16.13 PM.png
Views: 134125
Size:  7.4 KB

I have a project that I need to get out to my team... any assistance would be extremely welcome!

Again, I've set up my system just as Paul has suggested at the top of this thread. I've even uninstalled and reinstalled fontAwesome again, just in case Yosemite was doing something funky. I then grabbed the fontAwesome v4.2.0 version and installed that and then used the following URL:http://netdna.bootstrapcdn.com/font-...nt-awesome.css Which does exist... and still nothing. This is driving me crazy!

One more thing, the file is saved in my Box directory, but I saved another version to my desktop and it does the same thing...

OK, this is very strange... I checked a different file that appears to be setup exactly the same, but FontAwesome works perfectly. So, I imported the screens from the bad file into a new one (which I tested with FontAwesome and it worked). However, after import, FontAwesome didn't work. So, then I copied/pasted the contents of each page into the new file and FontAwesome worked again. No idea what's going on, but apparently that file, is just totally messed up!

So, thanks for listening, I'm all good now

Check your page level settings, it might be overriding the Sketch Font (bottom pane/Page Properties pane -> Page Style -> Sketch Effects -> Font) which would cause the odd characters to render (the overriding font wouldn't have those special characters that FontAwesome uses).

Apprentice Level
    Thanks

Fontawesome 4.2 rplib file attached

All,
    Attached is library file that matches the Fontawesome 4.2 version.

FontAwesomeV4.2.rplib

Enjoy

56. The Following User Says Thank You to mervin55 For This Useful Post:

Mads (01-09-2015)

Newbie Level
    Thanks

love this!

Project Manager
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    Several things in the Version 4.2 are fake, like share icon with three dots connecting together and many more... Be careful using them.
    Mohan Niroula
    Project Manager
    Blogger, UI/UX enthusiast
    Connect Via LinkedIn
    Twitter: @mniroulaa
    Publication/Articles

Sifu
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    Hi All!

Couple of questions and a learning:

Where can you see a list of the new icons from 3.2.1 moving into 4.2? I know Bootstrap has posted the changes for 4.3 but doubt those included any of the earlier upgrades.

Also, have you found a 4.2 copy of the font? I found on github the latest 4.3 version.

One learning when upgrading from 3.2.1 to 4.2:
    - if you are reusing an old 3.2.1 file, even after you reinstall the updated 4.2 FA font and add the new library, some icons won't work
    - the problem is that the associated style, FontAwesome, gets broken: since you reinstalled the font, the style is now not associated with any font. To fix it, just go to the style and reassigned it back to FontAwesome (and add vertical/horizontal alignment = center).

light_forger
    Last edited by light_forger; 02-25-2015 at 09:13 AM.
    Svetlin Denkov

Newbie Level
    Thanks

Hi Folks,

I've used V3.2.1 in the past. Now I tried to upgrade it to version 4.3. However, without any success.

Is there anybody who could write a similar post like Paul did in 2011 (First Post - about how to install V3.2.1)

As far as I could see there is no library for 4.3 available. I read that you could copy/past icons from the webpage. However it is not that easy like ctrl c & ctrl v. Need some explanation regarding that as well.

Regards & Thanks

Huseyin

Apprentice Level
    Thanks

FontAwesome v4.3 library

All,

Attached is the FontAwesome v4.3 library. I took the v4.1 library and updated all icons (so all icons are actual fonts, not just images). I also standardized all widgets positions, thumbnail usage, and groupings. Now that I know how to do this (took me months to figure out) I'll try to post an updated library every time FontAwesome is updated. Please make sure to update your local install of FontAwesome as well as your Web Fonts mapping within your prototype.

Link to updated FontAwesome download files - Font Awesome, the iconic font and CSS toolkit
    New Web Fonts link on maxcdn - http://maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/font-...wesome.min.css

Enjoy!
    Last edited by StanleyBuckeye; 03-23-2015 at 08:38 AM. Reason: added update info and links

62. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StanleyBuckeye For This Useful Post:

fordanini (05-05-2015), jakuburadnik (07-23-2015), klausmartin (04-23-2015), PixelPhil (04-23-2015)

Sifu
    Thanks

I have just loaded this version, removed previous versions, updated the font and the glyphs are no longer reading correctly.

I tried to copy and paste, but while this is initially successful, if I change the alignment, the character changes to a little flag type icon in a box.

[EDIT]To quote an oft relied upon methodology...

"Hello, IT, have you tried turning it off and on again?" Roy. The IT Crowd

Working now.
    Last edited by thePsycho79; 03-23-2015 at 09:42 AM.

64. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thePsycho79 For This Useful Post:

Kip Axure (04-01-2015), Paul Axure (03-23-2015), StanleyBuckeye (03-24-2015)

Apprentice Level
    Thanks

Hi James,

Yeah once you update the library and the local install of the font you have to close out of Axure and re-open to get the font to work again. I'm glad that it is working for you!

Newbie Level
    Thanks

Thanks Man

This is very useful Thank you so much

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyBuckeye View Post
    All,

Attached is the FontAwesome v4.3 library. I took the v4.1 library and updated all icons (so all icons are actual fonts, not just images). I also standardized all widgets positions, thumbnail usage, and groupings. Now that I know how to do this (took me months to figure out) I'll try to post an updated library every time FontAwesome is updated. Please make sure to update your local install of FontAwesome as well as your Web Fonts mapping within your prototype.

Link to updated FontAwesome download files - Font Awesome, the iconic font and CSS toolkit
    New Web Fonts link on maxcdn - http://maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/font-...wesome.min.css

Enjoy!

Axure Fu Master
    Thanks

Is there a way or workaround to get Font Awesome working on a 'sketch' style prototype?

It seems that when the page sketch settings dictate the prototype to be in 'Axure Handwriting' font, that clearly font awesome gets shown incorrectly in Axure Handwriting too.

Axure Support/Admin
    Thanks

Hi Meirion,

I'm afraid there isn't a great workaround in this scenario. As you've encountered, the Page Style font would override each widget's selected font, on the given Page. When the Font Awesome font is overridden, the respective icon in the project would display incorrectly.

Given this, one alternative might be to apply the Axure Handwriting font in your default Widget Style (or a Custom Widget Style), instead of under the Page Style's Sketch Effects. This way, you could still modify the "Sketchiness" effect, but you wouldn't apply the Page Style font across the entire Page at once.

Hope this helps.
    Alex

Axure Fu Master
    Thanks

That's a good idea Alex, I'll give it a go. Thanks.

Advanced User
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn
    I'm working for a large, engineering-based company and just found out that installing non-approved fonts on my machine is going to require an act of Congress.
    Has someone created an .rplib file of the FontAwesome icons that does not require installing the font itself? It would probably require less time and energy if we buy it rather than try to get a non-standard font approved through IT!

Axure Support/Admin
    Thanks

Hi Bryan,

Without being able to install the font locally, you're going to run into the trouble of either not being able to see the correct icons as you're working in Axure RP (this will happen if you try to use one of the attached libraries or Unicode characters) or using something like a .png collection, which loses the very smooth scaling of a font and the ability to change colors on the fly, among other things. If you're interested in the .png route, you can find a downloadable version of the Font Awesome collection here:

Font Awesome +360 free icons (SVG, EPS, PSD, PNG files)

I haven't seen this packaged as an .rplib, but depending on your exact needs it could work to simply drag and drop the images into Axure RP.

Regards,
    Jonathan

Newbie Level
    Thanks

Font Awesome v4.4 Library

Hi everybody,

Attached is the FontAwesome v4.4 library. I took the v4.3 library and added all the new icons. Make sure to update your local install of FontAwesome as well as your Web Fonts mapping within your prototype.

New Web Fonts link on maxcdn - https://maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/font...wesome.min.css

FontAwesomeV4.4.rplib

73. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wide For This Useful Post:

D4vid (09-24-2015), light_forger (08-18-2015), Paj (08-18-2015), Texasbrat (09-01-2015), thePsycho79 (08-18-2015)

Apprentice Level
    Thanks

My LinkedIn
    I also put together an updated FontAwesomeV4.4 rplib file, but it looks like someone else beat me to it.

Either way, here it is. FontAwesomeV4.4.rplib

75. The Following User Says Thank You to maddxp For This Useful Post:

Texasbrat (09-01-2015)

Newbie Level
    Thanks

My Twitter My LinkedIn

thanks for the update!

Apprentice Level
    Thanks

Here's the weblink I used for 4.4.0 - works beautifully for me

This is freaking awesome! Many thanks to all contributors!

Apprentice Level
    Thanks

Missing icons

For me, running Axure 7 on Win 7 with the font installed, many of the icons show as the empty boxes when I preview the wireframe in a browser. This is using any version of the library other than 3.2.1.

It looks like any icon that is not a part of the 3.2.1 library will not work for me. PITY!

Sifu
    Thanks

If you have the font installed locally you can always copy/paste icons directly from the cheat sheet: https://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/cheatsheet/

From there you can either set up webfont mapping or just convert the fontawesome text into an image so others who don't have the font can see them.
    Nathan K.

Apprentice Level
    Thanks

But I have the font installed and when I preview I still can't see the icons. Some yes but many in the 4.0 versions of the library do not work. Every icon in the 3.2.1 library do work.

Newbie Level
    Thanks

My Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by artdog View Post
    But I have the font installed and when I preview I still can't see the icons. Some yes but many in the 4.0 versions of the library do not work. Every icon in the 3.2.1 library do work.
    Hey @artdog, did you use the code snippet right at the top of the page?

That would link you to v3 FontAwesome. If you want to make use of v4 icons you need to use this link:

It would be handy if the original post could be edited to include the most up-to-date link? Or is this documented somewhere more sensible?

Newbie Level
    Thanks

Font icon- toggle wont load

I'm trying to use the font icon- toggle and it wont load. Some icons load just fine and some don't. I copied pasted from the cheat-sheet and the font awesome is successfully installed on my system.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul View Post

2) Restart Axure

Code:

Newbie Level
    Thanks

never mind. I got the new 4.4 version font files and the library and it loaded just fine

Apprentice Level
    Thanks

FontAwesome v4.5 Library

Hey all,

I have updated the FontAwesome library to v4.5. Enjoy!

Updated download link - https://fortawesome.github.io/Font-A...some-4.5.0.zip
    Web fonts link on MaxCDN - https://maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/font...wesome.min.css

85. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to StanleyBuckeye For This Useful Post:

apbitner (03-24-2016), bdahlinger (04-06-2016), jondurante (12-11-2015), lorielue (03-29-2016), sreynoldsw (01-29-2016), thePsycho79 (12-01-2015)

Newbie Level
    Thanks

I noticed the FontAwesome is only working if the page style font in 'Page Style' has not been changed.
    So it should be set to the default 'Applied font' in order to keep the FontAwesome working.
    Is there another way to change the overall page font?

Newbie Level
    Thanks

Hi,

i installed it like shown.

When using an icon with drag an drop i only get an questionmark.

What's wrong?

Apprentice Level
    Thanks

Have you installed the font on your local computer? You have to have the font installed locally if you want to be able to use it while working with your project.

Apprentice Level
    Thanks

Even I am facing the same problem. I am using Axure 8. The fonts render perfectly in the web browsers. But while viewing the rp in the axshare app, the alignment gets disturbed.

Please advise...someone.
    I know paul is done with helping Axurians.

Axure Support/Admin
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sheet5013 View Post
    Even I am facing the same problem. I am using Axure 8. The fonts render perfectly in the web browsers. But while viewing the rp in the axshare app, the alignment gets disturbed.

Please advise...someone.
    I know paul is done with helping Axurians.
    Hi sheet5013,

To clarify the alignment issue that you're seeing in the AxShare app, is the font rendering with the wrong horizontal alignment on widgets (e.g. left aligned instead of centered) or is this more of a line spacing issue? If the line spacing is the issue, try making sure that you have a specific line spacing value set for your widgets so that it's not blank ("--").

If that doesn't help, then is it possible for you to attach a screenshot and sample RP file so that we can take a look at what you're seeing to see if we can reproduce the issue? If you can't share the file publicly but can share it privately, then feel free to email it to us at support@axure.com. Thank you!